Jan 24, 2016

Week 1 at HMI

First week's schedule
The first 'fall in' of the batch was around 7 pm on the day we arrived. Around 80 of us gathered in the amphitheater arena and were given some basic instructions (which included a strict dress code of no shorts or open shoes outside hostel) by the course instructors and high level schedule of days at HMI Darjeeling. The detailed schedule was posted in the hostel anyway. 
The next day the tea bell rung at 5 am and after tea we all 'fell in' at 6 am in the amphitheater for our Physical Training. The advanced level course had also begun and they would usually start their PT about 15 minutes before us. After a short warm-up, we all started light jogging towards the main gate, which was all downhill and felt great. As soon as we exited the campus, it became uphill and within a few minutes I was totally out of breath  - given I can run 10 km in little over an hour, this must tell you how the thinner air affects our cardio performance. Of course quite a few folks including couple of my room mates, were amazingly fit and always stayed in front of this 80 member group that was jogging in files of twos. 

Mall road - part of our jogging route
To keep the group together, the instructors (yes they would train with us) would pause every 6-8 minutes and wait for laggards like me to catch up before resuming jogging. Thankfully I was usually in the middle of the pack so always got some rest in form of on-the-spot jogging or hopping.  Those who were last never got any because as soon as they would arrive the jogging would resume. After about 15 minutes we would reach a junction that was wide enough for us to stand in two circles and we would do some stretching and squatting exercises there for a few minutes. 
 
Post that we would continue onward and upward till we reached another junction where we would do body weight exercises like push ups and planks and core training. Yes we did all this in the middle of regular traffic junction that has typical tarred roads with dogs and morning walkers/joggers watching us. The loose gravel would hurt our palms and clothes would get really dirty but we couldn't complain - after all we had signed up for the course! After this set of exercises, the jog was mostly flat or downhill all the way to the campus gate. And then would come the tough part, now tired after a run at 7000 ft, we would be asked to sprint up 750 m long slope in sets of 5. Uphill and altitude always made things pretty tough and I always just walked or lightly jogged to the institute building.
 
Breakfast time
First day we were allowed to head back to our quarters and mess for breakfast after our run but subsequent days, the morning runs were usually followed by a power yoga class which was crazy in its own way. Breakfast (except on Tuesdays) included eggs in some form and bread and some vegetarian option (that I never noticed) and lots of very sweet tea (quite a few folks added more sugar to it).
The loos and bathrooms were common so bathing was always a scheduling exercise. First day I managed to take bath before the second 'fall in' only to find that it's useless because most days we would have activities in form of rock climbing or artificial wall climbing till at least lunch time and occasionally post lunch as well. Once I realized that, I started taking bath after completing all physical activities for the day. Bathing was a fun exercise in itself. Half the time water heater wouldn't work so we would all debate between taking cold shower and no shower. For me former mostly won but some folks waited a few days for the heater to get rectified (smart choice considering I actually fell sick after washing my hair with cold water)
 
At amphitheatre - having fun before 'fall-in'
First day after PT, we were divided across 10 groups (called ropes). Each rope was assigned a leader - mostly the leaders were from armed forces. The leader was responsible for managing the assets like climbing ropes and carabineers assigned to each rope and for ensuring attendance and for reporting on the well being of the members of the group. I was assigned to rope 1 that had interesting composition - a practicing medical doctor from North India, a PhD in yoga who runs a big hotel in South India, 2 young chaps around 17-18 years old (one was NCC cadet), 3 folks from US and a lady from armed forces who was also our rope leader.  
 
 
Some basic knots
The 8 days on the campus were designed for us to get some theoretical knowledge about the key tools and basic techniques of mountaineering. We learnt a few basic knots, we understood  (in theory) about uses of ice axe, crampons, carabineers, pitons etc. We were also given information about the health issues like Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). 
 
On the practice front, we also spent two half days at Tenzing Rock trying our hands at rock climbing (including going down and coming up a chimney), rappelling (Geneva style, shoulder, belly etc). In addition we spent a few hours climbing indoor and outdoor artificial walls. All the activities were done in groups/ropes that were assigned on day 1.  
Going down the Chimney
Coming up the Chimney

One of the tougher rocks to climb

 
 
 

Rappelling - Geneva style

 
 
 
 
 
The days would usually get over by 5/6 pm as it would get fairly dark, after which we would be asked to gather in media room for some motion picture on mountaineering. In absence of same, majority of us would gather in the mess to discuss the events of the day, worry over the upcoming trek or to simply chat.  
 
Loaded backpacks - resting on way to Tiger Hill
One of the days at campus was designed to test if we can walk with our assigned load. We were to trek 22 km to and fro Tiger Hill  with the goal of completing it before 2 pm. We were issued individual equipment  & clothes the previous day, that included a 70 liter rucksack, windproof jacket and pant, down jacket, down sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, mittens, climbing harness with a short rope, mountaineering boots, crampons etc. Except for the boots women were to carry all this to base camp, in addition to our regular clothes and toiletries. Men were to carry everything including the boots. First time ever that I was grateful for the gender discrimination!
 
I found  the issued rucksack (green ones in the picture) very unwieldy, so I decided to use my own 50 liter bag instead, loaded it with the issued gear. However I replaced their sleeping bag with mine (as mine was lighter) and replaced their windproof and down clothes with mine (again mine were lighter).
At Tiger Hill
While the trek/hike route wasn't difficult as it was mostly tarred roads but the load on my shoulders was killing me. I had never carried so much load on a hike before. By the time we finished the hike, I knew I was in trouble. I wasn't sure I would be able to complete the hike to base camp. But I wasn't about to give up just yet. One of the female batchmates from Czech Republic was used to hiking with much heavier loads and she offered to help me carry some of the load on the hike to base camp and I gratefully accepted the offer.  
 
Last day at campus (25th Oct) we were given half day break from our regular schedule so that we could step out and do some last minute shopping for the items that we may have missed but were essential for the trek and the 8 day stay at the base camp. I chose to stay in the campus and used the time to take a long hot water bath (yes they had fixed the water heater finally) and sleep for a couple of hours to rest my shoulders that were still sore from the Tiger Hill trek and all the rock & wall climbing.
 
In the evening, the whole hostel was in a frenzy - we had to finally pack our bags for the next 15 days. Fitting everything in my 50 liter backpack was difficult especially because the course director said that my thermolite sleeping bag (with 0 F rating) won't work and that I had to carry the institute issued down bag. Again my Czech friend, offered to carry my sleeping bag and I carried hers as hers was lighter and smaller (she had her own down bag). That's how I finally managed to squeeze a sleeping bag, a liner, basic clothes & toiletries, basic medicines, pair of sandals, socks & thermals, wind/water proof jacket & pant, down jacket, fleece jacket, and hydration bag! On the outside were water bottles, ice axe and sleeping mat...I felt relieved that I had everything I needed - little did I know what suffering lay in store for me the next few days!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment